Curious about what each of these camps entail? Check out the descriptions below!
MIMA | IMPROVISATION WORKSHOP
Improv workshop with MIMA introduces musicians of all skill levels to different practices of improvisation and guides them to musical destinations unplanned and unknown. Over the course of the week, we’ll be rehearsing and developing a musical language and rocking out in our upstairs performance hall and will make a recording on the last day. Come jam! No experience necessary.
SOUNDWALK WITH C4K
In partnership with C4K (Computers4Kids), the MRC is putting on its first ever summer Soundwalk Workshop. Participants will spend time at both the MRC and C4K, as well at the IX Art Park, capturing sounds and making recordings to build their own unique sound experiences. By reconceptualizing their audio environments, students will be creating soundtracks to a simple stroll in the park!
Key concepts include:
- On-site recording with handheld devices
- Basic microphone techniques and recording
- Basic audio engineering
- Use of a DAW (Garageband)
- Recontextualizing the sonic space (i.e. soundtracks)
- Basic writing skills – providing directions for participants in following their soundwalk
HIP HOP DANCE
- Mechanics and choreography of hip hop dancing
- Audition discipline and conduct
- Future performance and dance opportunities through the MRC
By the end of the week, members will create and be able to perform an original hip hop dance routine!
Interested in creating your own hip hop, electronic or dance beats? At the MRC’s Digital Music Workshop, members will be taught the ins and outs of digital music production. Topics covered include but are not limited to:
- Learning programs like GarageBand, Reason or ProTools
- Using and understanding MIDI controllers and keyboards
- Learning key components of digital music like sampling and looping
By the end of the workshop, members will be familiar with our digital production software and will have created beats of their own!
The MRC is happy to announce our summer songwriting workshop! In our one week workshop, students will work with staff and cover a variety of facets of the songwriting process, including but not limited to:
- Basic Elements & Structure of Songs
- Conceptualization of Themes
- Genre Identification
- Creation of Original Concepts
By the end of the camp, it is our goal for students to have written or collaboratively composed their own original music!
ROCK N’ ROLL BAND CAMP – week 1 closed! Space still available for the end-of-summer Band Camp!
Ever wanted to play in a band? Well you’re in luck! For our week-long summer workshop, the MRC will be hosting a Rock n’ Roll Band Camp where you and your friends can play rock hits together and receive instruction from professional musicians and experienced members in the music field.
We’re looking for students in 6th-12th grade with beginner to advanced experience in guitar, vocals, bass, drums, piano and more! We’ve got the rehearsal space, equipment, instructors and instruments you need – all you’ve got to do is bring yourself!
If any of these sound like fun, go ahead and register now! Email Lucas@musicresourcecenter.org, call 434-979-5478, or fill out the online form here!